FPPS is committed to increasing hands-on, rigorous opportunities in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM) for all Portland Public Schools students. It is critical to build interest and confidence in science early. We are working closely with PPS to support STEM curriculum development, purchase texts and supplies, and to create a mobile makerspace that will engage all elementary school students in design, innovation, and engineering.
Our goals include:
– Fostering experimentation and innovation
– Building critical thinking and problem solving skills
– Developing resilience through projects involving multiple attempts, revision, refining designs and failure
– Exposure to new tools, processes, and ways of thinking
– Increased interest in STEM