The Portland Public Schools Food Fund is Requesting Proposals.
Hosted by the Foundation for Portland Public Schools and made possible with donations from the community, the fund builds food security for Portland Public Schools (PPS) students with investments determined by Food Fuels Learning (FFL). It is intended to support comprehensive food access for families most vulnerable to food insecurity within the school food system.
Food Fuels Learning was started by a parent who saw children coming to school hungry. With the support of the Superintendent and the Cumberland County Food Security Council, this community-driven effort was born. After meeting with over 200 members of the Portland, Maine, community about their greatest successes and struggles within the school food system, we published the 2018 FFL report with recommendations from PPS food security champions. Food Fuels Learning continues to be a network of caring and dedicated champions who work to ensure students are nourished and thriving. The Food Fuels Learning mission is to build food security in schools through comprehensive research and community-based action.
Grants are available between $100-$500.
- Release of Application: February 27, 2023
- Application Due Date: March 22, 2023
- Application Review: March 22, 2022 – March 29, 2022
- Grantees Announced: April 3, 2023
- Grants Distributed: Week of April 3, 2023
- Grant Reporting: Due April 1, 2024
All applicants must illustrate that the proposed project falls within these criteria:
- Project Area: within the Portland Public School District
- Age Range: families with children or PPS students
- Project Reach: more than a single family unit
- Project must be related to immediate and/or long-term food security
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.